BY ALFRED MEYER MARCH 27, 2023, The Progressive
Billed as the future of U.S. tactical air power, the F-35 fighter jet program
Read this insightful and comprehensive article to learn more in depth about the F-35 weapons system program, its origins, risks and harms, written by Alfred Meyer, a member of Physicians for Social Responsibility who has worked with communities affected by the Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear catastrophes..
- real dangers to people in the communities where they are based, currently Burlington, Vermont and planned for Madison, Wisconsin;
- how the story began in 2001 when Lockheed Martin won a contract to produce the F-35s;
- the program is a “U.S.-led international effort with sixteen other nations taking part in the design, manufacture, and use of the aircraft” which “keeps the United States, via Lockheed, at the center of a multinational corporate, military, and Congressional endeavor.”
- the risk of a “usable” nuclear bomb with a single pilot F-35 as a delivery vehicle specifically noted in the 2018 Nuclear Posture Review;
- the deficiencies due to “multiple compromises in design and performance needed to have one platform do so many different things”;
- cost overruns and schedule delays;
- performance and safety problems and maintenance issues;
- continuous profiting from our tax money;
- unresponsiveness and pushback from our elected officials.