To mark the anniversary of the Russia – NATO war in Ukraine, we will do a War Abolition Walk in Madison this Friday, February 24. Defuse Nuclear War and the Peace in Ukraine Coalition are calling for actions at congressional offices that day, so we will be acting along with people in dozens of cities. Join us for part or all.
2:30 – Meet at Mark Pocan’s office, 10 E. Doty Street. We’ve asked for a meeting with Rep Pocan and his staff. We’ll picket outside and/or visit inside. Our picket signs say: Diplomacy Now ~ Cut War Spending ~ Defuse Nuclear War.
3:15 – Meet at Satya Rhodes-Conway’s office at the City County Building, 210 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd. We’ve asked for a meeting with Mayor Rhodes-Conway and her staff. We’ll picket outside and/or visit inside.
4:00 – Walk west on W. Washington Ave, banner at the corner of W. Wash and S Park St, then walk south on S Park St to finish at the Catholic Multicultural Center, 1862 Beld St. Total distance is 2.5 miles.
We will ask Rep Pocan to:
- Issue a public statement in support of a ceasefire and diplomacy
- Lead a congressional delegation to the White House for a diplomatic debrief
- Sponsor a congressional resolution to end military assistance to Ukraine
- Pledge to vote no on more weapons for endless war in Ukraine
We will ask Mayor Rhodes-Conway to:
- Sign on to Safe Skies’ legal actions to stop the F-35 warplanes from coming to Madison (following the example of the cities of Minneapolis and Winooski, VT)
- Work with the City Council to divest from nuclear weapons. Across the US, 65 other municipalities have taken a strong step to prevent nuclear war by signing on to Back from the Brink. We’re working here in Madison to join them.
- Consider with us what else you and the city attorney can do to stop the F-35s, change the mission of Truax to a peaceful one, and take action in this time of unprecedented nuclear danger.